Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Simple Pleasures

There are a lot of wonderful things on this world, and I love so many of them. I'm grateful for so many small and simple things that make my life so full and that make me smile every time. I thought that I would share some of them with you. A few of them may seem odd, but I love them just the same.

1. Kennedy's Smile - I know that this one is obvious, but I can't help it. My heart melts every time I see it. She is so sweet and she knows who I am now, which I just love. Even when I get frustrated because she won't sleep or won't let me put her down, all she has to do is smile and coo at me and I'm back to my normal mommy self.

2. When Brett comes home from work - This is one of my favorite times of day. Brett works very hard, and it will be even harder when school starts again. I love spending time with him and am always so glad when daddy comes home.
3. Cherry Limeades - Here's where we start veering from the obvious. I love cherry limeades from Sonic. They make my day. I have tried strawberry limeades and cranberry limeades, but nothing compares with the cherry. It is so tart and sweet and they give me cherries in it. Yum!
4. Grandma Emigh's Coffee Cake - Ever since I was little I looked forward to having coffee cake after opening presents on Christmas morning. Grandma would always make two cakes: one with nuts for everyone else, and one without nuts for me. It is still one of my very favorite comfort foods, and I usually get a craving sometime around June or July to have some. I usually eat 75% of it by myself.
5. Duck Bums - Ok, let me explain. Have you ever been around ducks when they put their heads all the way under water and their bums go in the air? It is so dang cute. I love when they do this! They were even doing it at Lagoon when we went a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't pay attention to the ride we were on because I was trying to see the ducks.
6. Disneyland and DisneyWorld - I hate that I can't go more often. This is where I will always choose to go. This is where we went for my high school graduation, as well as for our honeymoon. I always have a great time and feel so good when I am there.
7. LOST - I get so incredibly excited when LOST comes on. It is the best show ever. It is the only show that I have ever watched where I actually get upset if I miss an episode, that's how bad it is. If you haven't started watching it, you should. But be warned - it is highly addictive.
8. Cooking - I love to try new, different, and intricate recipes. I tried my hand at lasagna the other night and it was a success. I love using new ingredients and going shopping for them. I love cookbooks and kitchen gadgets and am a frequent guest at Williams-Sonoma. I watch cooking shows and go to cooking classes. Basically I am obsessed. I make a huge mess in the kitchen most of the time, but it is so worth it. I'm even starting to experiment with my own recipes in hopes of publishing a cookbook through lulu.com.
9. Good books that I can't put down - I haven't had much time to read until a few months ago, and I have been loving it! I just love books, and I always have. I don't know that Brett is very happy about it because he feels like he has lost his wife, but I am so excited that I've actually been able to enjoy reading again.


10. When Lucy sleeps with me - I love Lucy. She is the best kitty I could have ever asked for. I love it when she cuddles with me, when she meows at me, says please, steals my food, and announces her presence when I walk into a room. She brings so much joy into my life and is a great part of our family.

11. Salami and Brie sandwiches on French bread - I love this sandwich because it reminds me of being in Europe, especially Paris. I used to eat this all the time when I was in the Netherlands, along with grapefruit Fanta and Lion bars (neither of which are available in the US). One of my favorite memories is of buying a very similar sandwich, sitting outside Sainte-Chapelle in the cool weather of October in Paris, seeing Notre Dame in the background, and watching the people go by and the light get scattered by the trees. This picture is of Sainte-Chapelle. Isn't it beautiful?

12. Sunrises in the mountains - We went camping a few weeks ago, and even though I often complain about camping, there is one thing that I love. When I wake up early in the morning, it is so beautiful. The light is gorgeous, the world is quiet and cool, and a great breakfast is on the way. I love just putting on a sweatshirt and taking a walk in the early morning. It is always so much better when camping than near home where the cars often ruin it.

These are only a few of the small things that I love. What are some of your small and simple pleasures?

2 comments:

Noelle said...

This was a very happy post--all very smiley things. I love that you love to cook and try new things, you're very good at it too. Something that always makes me smile is seeing men carrying bouquets of flowers. You just know the girl that will be getting them is going to be so happy. :) I also love seeing when babies are big enough to wave and blow kisses. My niece Shannon did this from the doorway this morning and it melted my heart.

Blair said...

Man, those sandwiches brought delicious memories to me. :)
I'm more of a strawberry limeade person, but it took me a while to get to that point. I also thoroughly enjoy their pineapple shakes. Freakin' incredible.